Liturgical Day

Translate!

    Translate from:

    Translate to:

Parish History

St. Joseph Parish dates back to 1879 when the first church was erected as a mission of St. Mary, Help of Christians, in Winfield. The parish buildings, circa 1907, included a convent, a new church and a rectory – all along 30th Avenue.The current rectory was built in 1928 and the current convent building in 1938. Here’s a brief look at St. Joseph Parish through the years . . . 

Timeline of St. Joseph Parish

1870s

[:ttip=”First Mass in the Parish of St. Joseph celebrated on 38thStreet
[:/ttip]

Astoria known as the German settlement
Steinway Piano Factory moves to Astoria
First Mass in the Parish of St. Joseph celebrated on 38thStreet
Bought property on Grand Avenue and Stemler Street (30th Avenue and 44th Street) for $750 under Bishop John Loughlin
First Pastor – Rev. Francis Pauletigi

1880s

[:ttip=”Second Pastor – Rev. Cyprian Eisele
[:/ttip]

Second Pastor – Rev. Cyprian Eisele
Purchase of property on Grand Avenue and Grace Street (30th Avenue and 43rd Street)
Arrival of Sisters of St. Dominic
First records of First Holy Communion and Confirmation
Rosary Society organized
Sodality organized for young women

1890s

Opening of first parish school
Opening of parish convent
 

1900s

[:ttip=”Present-day church built and dedicated by Bishop Charles McDonnell
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Holy Name Society organized
[:/ttip]

Present-day church built and dedicated by Bishop Charles McDonnell
Holy Name Society organized
 

1910s

[:ttip=”Third Pastor – Rev. Peter Henn
[:/ttip]

Third Pastor – Rev. Peter Henn
Building of three-story brick school
 

1920s

Stained glass windows added to church
Addition of bell tower to church building
Rectory built
Organization of Religious Education Program
New Parishes of Precious Blood, Immaculate Conception, and St. Francis change boundaries of St. Joseph Parish

1930s

[:ttip=”Fourth Pastor – Rev. Sylvester Higgins
[:/ttip]

Fourth Pastor – Rev. Sylvester Higgins
New convent completed
Parish Brigade organized
Founding of St. Vincent de Paul Society
 

1940s

[:ttip=”Fifth Pastor – Rev. Ulick Buckley
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Men and women of St. Joseph Parish give their lives in WWII &
are memorialized in a plaque on the front of the church building
[:/ttip]

Fifth Pastor – Rev. Ulick Buckley
Men and women of St. Joseph Parish give their lives in WWII & are memorialized in a plaque on the front of the church building
Sodality begins yearly parish musicals and shows
 

1950s

[:ttip=”Sixth Pastor – Rev. Richard McHugh
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Addition of new wing to school and building of auditorium
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Anniversary with Archbishop Thomas Molloy
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Church undergoes major renovation
[:/ttip]

Sixth Pastor – Rev. Richard McHugh
Addition of new wing to school and building of auditorium
Anniversary with Archbishop Thomas Molloy
Addition of Community Room to convent
Church undergoes major renovation

1960s

[:ttip=”Seventh Pastor – Rev. Joseph Hammond
[:/ttip]

Seventh Pastor – Rev. Joseph Hammond
Implementation of Second Vatican Council
Religious Education Program for physically challenged
Home School Association organized
 

1970s

[:ttip=”Eighth Pastor – Rev. Msgr. Edward Offenheiser
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Celebration of 100th Anniversary with Bishop Francis J. Mugavero
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Concelebrated Mass (1976)
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Holy Thursday (1976)
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Church Exterior (1976)
[:/ttip][:ttip=”Church Interior (1976)
[:/ttip]

Eighth Pastor – Rev. Msgr. Edward Offenheiser
First Deacons ordained for St. Joseph Parish
Celebration of 100th Anniversary with Bishop Francis J. Mugavero
Success of parish bazaar and fundraisers
Italian Community is formed

 
1980s

[:ttip=”Ninth Pastor – Rev. Msgr. George J. Ryan
[:/ttip]

Ninth Pastor – Rev. Msgr. George J. Ryan
Implementation of Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
Installation of air conditioning in church
Updating of parish census
Opening of food pantry
Hispanic Community is formed
 

1990s

St. Joseph School receives national “Award of Excellence” twice
Blessing of new church doors in honor of Msgr. Offenheiser
Major capital campaign organized to raise funds for church renovation
Major renovation of church and re-dedication by Bishop Thomas V. Daily
Summer Camp for parish children begins
Parish festivals and shows

 
2000s

Celebration of 125th Anniversary with Bishop Thomas V. Daily
Tenth Pastor – Rev. John P. Harrington
Re-placement of the tabernacle at the center of the church sanctuary
Outdoor parish re-enactment of Via Crucis on Good Friday and traditional Eucharistic Procession on Corpus Christi begin again
Annual parish carnivals in honor of St. Pio sponsored by Italian Community become major parish fundraiser

2010s

Eleventh Pastor – Rev. Vincent F. Miceli