28-46 44th St
Astoria, NY 11103
Principal: Mr. Luke Nawrocki
Nursery through 8th Grade
Enrollment: 502 students
Home School Association
Larissa Drobenko, President
Advisory Commission for Institutional Advancement
Leo Cinquemani, Chairman
A Brief History of St. Joseph School
St. Joseph Parish dates back to 1879 when the first church was erected as a mission of St. Mary, Help of Christians, in Winfield. The parish buildings, circa 1907, included a convent, a new church and a rectory – all along 30th Avenue. The current rectory was built in 1928; the current convent building in 1938. In 1880, the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Dominic of Amityville (Amityville Dominicans) purchased a plot of ground to build an orphan home on 43 Street, opposite the parish property. The house accommodated as many as sixty children at a time and still stands. At that time, Father Eisele approached the Sisters and asked if they would also take care of educating the children of the parish, and they agreed. Therefore, it may be said that St. Joseph’s School dates back to 1880.
The current main school building was erected in 1917 and the new wing was dedicated by Bishop Kearney in 1954. From the late 1950s through the next decade, there were over 1600 students enrolled in Kindergarten to eighth grade each year.
Today, St. Joseph School remains one of the largest of the parochial schools within the Brooklyn Diocese with an enrollment of approximately 500 youngsters in Nursery through Eighth grade. Class sizes averaged 55 students in the sixties in comparison to an average class size today of approximately 25. The first lay principal was appointed in September 1998.